Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Coveted by Shawntelle Madison


Age level: 17 and up

Summary: Natalya Stravinsky is a werewolf who suffers from OCD. She hoards Christmas ornaments and has a strong compulsion towards super cleanliness. To top this all off she is now living outside of the pack; having been kicked out. When she was in the pack she ranked among the lowest of the low. Even, her family barely puts up with her existence.

Aggie her old best friend stops in to stay for a couple of days, and ends up staying for the rest of the book. She has recently left her husband.

Her ex-boyfriend, Thorn, comes back into town from being gone. He was the main reason for her hoarding breakdown. Now he insists on hanging around, even though he is engaged to another werewolf.

This all forces her to accept the reality she needs to go back to therapy. She wants to get out and start dating again. Her therapy group consists of a mermaid, succubus, muse, dwarf, minor deity, and Nick; who is a white wizard. Nick becomes a close friend, and helps her when she needs it.

On top of all this, a group of werewolves is challenging for her “ex-packs” territory. This pack is bigger than her pack. They have managed to single her out on top of the to-kill list. But the question remains, why they are after such a low ranking werewolf? Between her brother being kidnapped, and her banishment from her city, will she be able to pull it together to help save her family and friends?

Review: This book was pretty good. I enjoyed reading it. The problem is she never actually stood up for herself all that much. She always needed help or a spell in order to do anything useful. Then I think about everything that happened in her life, and no wonder she is a wounded bird. Everyone treats her like she is the gum stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

 I don’t even like Thorn as a person. He sits there and leads her on with all his advances, and it drives me crazy. He is engaged, and needs to let her move on.  At the same time, Nick was my favorite he was there for her, and the support she needed to get through everything. If only she could get over Thorn.

The world building took up a lot of the book, but it is building itself up for a series. So that tends to happen in first books. From the sounds of it the women are actually inside the ranking system, which I liked. I have read werewolf books that have the hierarchy rank them near the bottom if they are unmarried, or they take their mates rank. That always bugs me.

 I suggest anyone who loves werewolf books to give this a try. If you are a person who needs constant action in a book, this one does not. It actually has very little. I don’t mind that personally, because I don’t need that much action to keep me happy. I never lost interest in it. It had parts that made me laugh and smile. It was definitely a different spin on a werewolf book. I have never encountered a werewolf book whose main character has a disorder like that.  I am going to read the second book, and I will let you guys know how it goes.


Rating: out of 5



FTC: This was review copy provided to me through Netgalley for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment