Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Undeparted by Deborah Palumbo (Interview, Summaries, and much much more!)

I am finally reviewing an adult book. It seems I've been reviewing so much YA lately ;).

THE UNDEPARTED KINDLE COVER.jpg  Age Level: 16 and up
Summary: The lead protagonist is Cassandra. She is dating/ living with her boyfriend Mike, who is a police officer. It starts out with Cassandra talking about how it is her 28th birthday, and she is getting old. So Mike is giving her a hard time. Mike works his shift overnight. So when he leaves for work, she goes to the grocery store. On her way back she is kidnapped by a vampire named Christian. Then, is brought to Quentin's castle. Quentin isn't just any vampire, he is the father of vampires. He is a fallen angel, who has lost grace with God. He instantly falls in love with Cassandra. Naturally, she is freaked out, and doesn't want to stay. So he delivers her home to her bed, just before her boyfriend makes it home from his shift. She woke up frightened, and told her boyfriend the entire story, the problem is he doesn't believe her. He thinks that it was all a dream. Not even her best friend and coworker Lucy believes her. So she doesn't know what to think, since no one believes her. Is she losing her mind? She starts receiving mysterious flowers at her office. She knows she isn't losing her mind because she keeps seeing Quentin. He keeps pursuing her. Will Quentin win her heart? What about Mike? Maybe Mike isn't quite the upstanding citizen he shows to everyone. Someone is after her, they want to kill her. The problem is, who is it? Is it Christian, who is mad about her resisting his bite and her rejection of him. Or Quentin, who she keeps denying in his conquest to win her heart? Could it be Mike, even though he has only shown her love and affection? Read this book to find out!!

Review: I thought the book was exciting! It has murder, lies, betrayal, and love. It has a pretty fast paced story. You get to hear about this world fully, without too much detail that it becomes boring. I really like Cassandra, she is a smart and caring person. Quentin was an interesting vampire, he is a very complicated character. Not everything is black and white with Quentin. I don't want to give too much away about this novel, but I fully recommend it. It is only $1.99 on Amazon, buy it here. I don't want to hear I don't have a Kindle as an excuse, because even I don't have a Kindle ;). I have a Nook, but I have the Kindle app on my smart phone.There is also a second book in the series, The Ascent of the Undeparted, buy it here. She is also working on the third book right now. Here is the summary for her new book that has been published:


It's a 1948 crime noir, entitled WHEN THE TEMPERATURE RISES.
Introducing Detective Humphrey Hilton McAllister in this 1948 crime noir. It's the first in a series of, well, hopefully many. By the way, Humphrey's friends call him Humph. Well, actually the only person who calls him Humph is his ex wife Roberta. You don't want to know what Captain Milroy calls him. Milroy is always blowing his stack and busting Humphrey's chops about something even though old Humphrey hasn't touched a drop of the funny water and isn't doll dizzy anymore. That soft spot for blonde dames and that whiskey tumbler got Humphrey in trouble down at headquarters as well as home which is why Roberta took a powder, you know the slang meaning to leave. She divorced his behind is what she did.
So, here he is Detective Humphrey being given one more opportunity to solve the murder du jour, the murder of Sam Santino in Apartment D. Humphrey's pretty confident he can solve the case within forty eight hours; that's how long Captain Milroy is giving him to solve the case, see Milroy's heart isn't as big as his potbelly.
So, anyway, Humphrey has taken a few spins with corpses in his time, so no sweat, he boasts; he'll solve the murder of Sam Santino and apprehend the perpetrator in record time. Too bad though, his ex wife starts looking like a damn good suspect; too bad because he's still carrying a torch for her, especially since she dyed her hair blonde and looks like a real doll now. He's got one difficult decision to make: haul her in or let her escape? Or maybe she isn't the killer after all?
Buy it here!

Biography of the Author:

Debbieinfrontoffireplaceinlivingroom08.jpg 
Hi Cara and everyone,
I'm a self pubbed author spinning yarns in two genres: Romance....historical and paranormal laced with mystery n sometime spice.... and mystery/crime; you know, who dunnit with frustrated detectives who are hot on the trail of some killer. I also co-wrote a screenplay with the acclaimed actor/writer Jordan Rhodes.
I was honored to have caught Jordan's attention with my mystery crime novel Edge of Darkness and was delighted...actually I was tickled pink...to be asked to co-write the screenplay of his upcoming film with him and Lynn Moore. This was my first entry into this venue; I enjoyed the experience immensely. A goal is to start a production company and watch my novels come to life. In fact, I've written a screenplay based on one of my novels The Doctors

I wish I could say that I write these tales of love n murder n mayhem behind an antique desk, but the fact is I write in my king bed with my pillows scrunched up behind me!
When I'm not writing I enjoy relaxing at home; occasionally in front of the TV watching the old black and white shows or listening to 70's music. I'd prefer to play cards or Scrabble rather than go to a club. I'd rather take a long drive on a country road than jet off somewhere. I love to cook for friends. Sometimes I pull out the good china and other times I use my favorite Hallmark paper plates, but what really matters is the laughter and good conversation and especially a discussion about a good book! Oh yeah, I love cheeseburgers!Ciao!Deborah Palumbo


1. How long have you been writing?
I wrote about six books in the 90's, leaving them in files and then in 2010 I dusted off some of those files, fleshed the books out and starting writing more novels which I published this year.
2.How many books have you written? What are the titles?
I have written 12 books, but have 8 published. My published titles are:
THE UNDEPARTED, a paranormal romance/mystery
THE ASCENT OF THE UNDEPARTED (3rd novel in the undeparted series is a work in progress)
THE DOCTORS, a medical thriller mystery
EDGE OF DARKNESS, a mystery/crime
WHEN THE TEMPERATURE RISES, a vintage mystery/crime
BRAVE WOMAN, an historical romance
THE DYING TREE, an historical saga
THE GOLD SEEKER'S DAUGHTER, an historical romance
3. What inspires you when you are writing?
Inspiration just suddenly strikes; comes right out of my head and heart, that's honestly it in a nutshell.
4. What inspired you to start writing in the first place?
I think I was born with the desire to write. When I was a kid I used to write short stories but always wanted to write a novel. I didn't actually compose my first book though until I had downtime due to an illness. I guess all that free time spurred me on. I wrote Brave Woman first.
5. What helps your creativity while you are writing?
I don't do anything in particular to be creative; it just flows out very naturally while I sit at the computer and type. Sometimes when I'm resting, even trying to sleep, I suddenly hear narrative or dialogue...no I'm not nuts, lol...and I've got to get up and write it down. I keep a tablet nearby for those nighttime inspirations. As much as I'd prefer to sleep like a baby undisturbed, it's those nighttime bouts of inspiration that help me to construct the book.
6. What advice would you give to new writers?
Well, I'm new at this too, but I'd say don't give up, follow your dreams... perseverance is the key to anything in life...write till you drop and blog your heart out! And be grateful to the readers who love you!
7. What kind of books do you like to read?
Now I'm completely embarrassed to admit this, but I don't have the time to read because I'm always writing, but I like the genres that I write in; so naturally the answer is historical and paranormal romance and crime mystery.
8. What television shows do you watch?
I don't watch  a lot of TV, but when I do, I like to watch the old classics from the 1950 and 60's; you know, I love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Bewitched. I think the old comedy shows are brilliant and unparalleled. I like Threes Company too.
9. Do you have a career on top of writing?
Not anymore. I devote all of my time to writing. I had a restaurant business.
10. Who is your favorite character out of any book you have written? Why?
Gees, that's a hard question because the characters are alive in my mind like friends. I honestly like quite a few of my them, like Quentin Castle, the father of all vampires and Cassandra, the love of his life; I even like the evil and perpetually horny Lucius  who is constantly thirsty for the vampire's drink. I guess I like him because  when I write a scene with him in it it's always action packed.
Now having said that though,  I'm going to say Detective Humphrey McAllister is my favorite. He's a vintage detective in my newest novel, a crime noir entitled When the Temperature Rises. Himphrey uses cool phrases, some that he's made up, some from the 1940's. He's lyrical, and when I wrote the book I felt it had this melodious flow to it.
Anyway, I feel for Humphrey. He's going through a difficult time trying to make a comeback from a divorce; see he was doll dizzy for blonde dames, and his wife Roberta got sick and tired of his shenanigans so she divorced his behind. Besides his divorce he used to hit the bottle pretty hard too, but he's kicked that habit. The problem is before he cleaned up his act he ticked off his pot bellied Captain and now the Captain is always on Humphrey's back, but you know what? That makes Humphrey more determined to prove he can be a class A detective. In fact, the latest homicide case is just the one to either get Humphrey demoted from homicide to chasing bed jumpers in sleazy motels, or prove he's got what it takes.
Problem is his ex wife Roberta who he's still carrying a torch for, looks like a darn good suspect. He's got a tough decision to make, but you guys'll have to read the book to find out what old Humphrey does!
11. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?
This is easy: The good old US of A! And in particular....a screened in porch that over looks a lake surrounded by trees and nature and singing birds. Ah! Now that sounds like heaven to me.
I want to thank you for this wonderful interview Cara. I wish you happiness and success with your blog!
If anyone wants to follow me, I'd be delighted:

dreamstime_m_12562034ASCENT edit new.jpg   dreamstime_m_1266902 new edge.jpg    dreamstime_m_19008680 doctors.jpg   GOLD SEEKERS DAUGHTER KINDLE COVER.jpg
   Buy It!  1.99         Buy It! 1.99         Buy It! 1.99                     Buy It! 1.99

KINDLE COVER (2).jpg    dreamstime_m_15083517 bw pixels.jpg    THE DYING TREE KINDLE COVER.jpg
  Buy It! 1.99        Buy It! 1.99               Buy It! 1.99

Rating: out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment