Friday, September 7, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Divergent (Divergent, #1)

Age level: 14 and up (This does contain some sexual content, but I think it stays pretty pg 13 for the most part.)

Summary: Let me give a brief history if Divergent. They live in a city that is divided up into 5 factions, Candor is honesty, Erudite is intelligence/learning, Amity is peacefulness, Dauntless is bravery, and Abnegation is selflessness.  Each of these factions holds what their faction stands for to be the most important human trait. For example, Amity does not condone violence, and Dauntless do not condone cowardliness. Tris (Beatrice) is the main heroine in these books. She is what is known as divergent meaning she can qualify for several different factions. She has to keep it a secret as long as possible, but of course she can't keep it a secret forever. People have been taught to fear people who are divergent because they don't fit in the typical categories their community places them in. Insurgent is the second book in the Divergent trilogy(? I heard it was only going to be a trilogy, oh well). This picks up right where it left off in Divergent, with everyone on a train heading towards the Amity compound. The only problem with that particular compound, is peace doesn't exactly mix with war. So they found their selves abruptly leaving it. They ended up in the arms of the factionless. Four and Tris have been staying together for the whole journey. Their relationship at this point is rocky at best. They have both done things to each other, that has led to mistrust amongst them. The factionless and the Dauntless will have to form an alliance if they are going to beat Erudite. The Erudite make interesting alliances. Even, part of Amity can't stay neutral when things get real. 

Review: I heard a lot of people say they were disappointed in this installment, but I was not at all. I loved that we finally got to see her divergence more, and truly understand the meaning of it outside of simulations. It is a big benefit for her out in everyday social life, because she can see things in different perspectives. There was a lot of good quotes in this book, which I think I'll put several down below. I think I like Four more in this book, not to say I didn't like him in the last book but we got to see more of his personality. I loved that Caleb finally got to play the big brother, and it was funny seeing him giving Four a hard time. Caleb disappointed me in the end. There was a lot of introspection for Tris in this book, and she also did a lot of growing. She is starting to become the person she is going to be. She did a lot of grieving in this book which is only natural considering how the last book ended, but I think that taught her a lot. I wonder how the ending is going to effect Marcus' and Four's relationship. I think Tris and Four's relationship will only be strengthened from everything that has happened. I am so glad Christina is back as well, she was an awesome character. On another note I share my name with a character, which never happens lol. Most Cara's I ever see are spelled with a K. I was like my name is in the book...yay! lol I'm a nerd. I'm really excited to see how this all turns out when the gates do open. I really loved this book, and definitely suggest you should read it. If you didn't read the first one I suggest you read that as well! This is an amazing series, with interesting messages!


"and while he has done cruel, evil things, our society is not divided into "good" and "bad". Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind."


"He sits next to me and puts his arm on the back of my chair, leaning close. I don't stare back--I refuse to stare back.
I stare back."


"My father taught me to see Erudite a particular way. He never taught me that they made no judgments about what people believed, but designed things for them within the confines of those beliefs. He never told me that they could be funny, or that they could critique their own faction from the inside.".."He never told me that an Erudite could offer to help me even after I killed her brother."

Rating: out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment