Friday, March 15, 2013

Review: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer


Summary:
Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Isabella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Isabella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife-between desire and danger.Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite. (Goodreads)

Review:
Okay, my friend convinced me to finish reading this because she says I can't judge an entire book based off of only reading 1/3 of the book. So I agreed to read it all. Here is my reaction:

First off...What in the hell did I just read? I wanted to shake her while yelling gain some perspective. I understand that she is a teenager, and some of you guys are emotional and don't make the most mature of decisions but seriously?!?! Even if you do fall in love with someone after knowing them for 2 seconds, you do not make life altering decisions based on those 2 seconds. If a guy tells you he is dangerous, please, run the opposite direction.

Edward on the other hand is quite more entertaining in the book, than I remember him being in the movie. He was very quick witted, which I usually like. His family seemed like they were all nice people. I have always liked Alice's character even in the movie. 

Then, when I read YA I think what benefit will teenagers get from reading this book. It is who these books are intended for. I don't see much really, besides being willing to put herself out there for people she loves to redeem it in this area. She refused to make true friendships. She got into an unhealthy relationship to where the guy has all the control. She doesn't think she is good enough for her boyfriend, which is not a healthy thing to think. She is timid and weak, and rarely stands up for herself. She shows not much personal growth. And ladies you should have outside interest other than your boyfriend. Go make friends, and go out and do things. Have hobbies that does not involve him. Let's be honest most girls don't end up with their high school sweethearts. 

Honestly, at the end of the day I have read better. How people can compare Harry Potter's greatness to this, I will not understand. Harry Potter was a story of compassion, friendship, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. This book was about getting a boyfriend, and risking your families lives in order to do so. I have had someone tell me by book three it gets better. I am going to finish the series just so I know what everyone is talking about unfortunately.

Rating: out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment