Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Tour: The Hands of Time by Irina Shapiro

Blurb:
When a young woman vanishes without a trace from a quaint fishing village on the coast of England, only one person knows the truth, but he remains silent allowing the authorities to search for her in vain.

Meanwhile, Valerie Crane finds herself transported to the year 1605. Terrified and confused, she turns for help to the Whitfield brothers, who take her in and offer her a home. Both Alexander and Finlay Whitfield fall in love with the mysterious woman, who shows up on their doorstep, creating a love triangle that threatens to consume them all. Valerie must make her choice, deciding between the brother who will lead her down the path of destruction, or one who will give her a love she couldn’t find in her own time.


Review: Valerie ends up accidentally finding herself traveling back in time. She lands in a house with two men, both of them like her. Soon she realizes that things aren't ideal in this place as they seem. She was traveled to a time when speaking your mind could get you sent to the gallows. She has to learn quickly how to survive in this new world. Overall, I liked the book. I love time travel books, because I like the blend of contemporary with historical. Keep in mind this book is intended for adults so there are a few sex scenes. I liked the characters enough to finish the book, but I wasn't overly attached to them or anything. The book was told from multiple viewpoints, which can either be a hit or miss. I like it if it is done well. This book I think did the switching viewpoints well. I love being inside everyone's head. I felt like the first 25 percent of the book dragged by, by once it got started I couldn't put it down. She mentioned at the back of the book some of the things were historically in accurate by I didn't notice, I never do...As long as she's not using a cell phone it is all good. 

Character Breakdown:
Valerie- She was getting over a divorce, so she was still upset by it. Her husband had cheated on her and had gotten his girlfriend pregnant so he was going to marry her. She was a pretty strong women. She kept her head up and kept going.

Finlay- I liked him I guess....he was just too impulsive, and didn't really know how to make good decisions.

Alec- He was my favorite. He was a big sweetheart. I love how mature he was, and how he knew how to handle everything. 

If you love a good time travel book that is a fairly fast read, I would suggest this to you. There is going to be a second one, I will definitely be checking it out.

Review: out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment